Navigation

Remembrance

South African (Anglo-Boer) War

Memorial Fountain

fountainThe fountain on the corner of Victoria Road and Flagstaff Terrace, with its bronze centerpiece, commemorates two Devonport casualties from the South African War - James Peard Mays (NZ Artillery) and Harold Frankham (4th New Zealand Contingent). The fountain was built from public subscriptions and was unveiled by the Lady Mayoress, Mary Alison, on 3 June 1903. It was was originally sited near where the band rotunda now stands and has also had a tribute to a local councillor added in later years.

 

 

Memorial Gate

gatesThe gate is on the seawall of King Edward Parade opposite the eastern end of Flagstaff Terrace and is topped with metal arch and a light (originally gas-powered). It also serves a dual purpose.

The right-hand pillar incorporates a stone laid on 9 August 1902 by the Mayor, E.W. Alison, to commemorate Peace in South Africa. The South African War had ended on 31 May 1902 with the Treaty of Vereeniging.

The left-hand pillar commemorates the coronation of Edward VII on 9 August 1902.